Wednesday, November 28, 2012

First Snow on New Ice

It was cloudy and cool with snow pellets showers and a few true snow flurries. This was the first snow of the season at Singleton Lake although nearby areas had measurable snow a few days before. I was interested in how the snow formed patterns on the new ice. As I painted I noticed that the patterns changed dramatically. I think the snow melted into the ice and as it did, the patches of white snow blended into the darker swirls in the new ice. The change is quite dramatic when one is looking at the images below separated by maybe an hour. When one is in "the zone" and busy painting this dramatic change was only noticed because I couldn't seem to get the drawing "right".
A flock of red polls came by as did an immature bald eagle.
 

No comments: