Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Reach Long


The title may be the dyslexic version of our street address or it may refer to the way the reflections of the spruce and pine trees on the granite point extend well down into the painting - virtually to the gunwales of the kayak. Reflections tend to have a long reach if you are sitting very low in the water - as I was.

It was an overcast November day and I was having a lot of fun on the water. There were just a lot of ducks and geese and a single loon to keep me company. The overcast altostratus skies were a harbinger of the rain that was on the way. The first spits of rain would signal that the altostratus had by definition thickened up into nimbostratus. This happened after I had paddled just a few hundred more metres to the other side of Chip O'Connor's point.

The painting was completed on a panel mounted to a stretcher frame built by my Dad. Panels are conducive to the use of a lot of paint. I painted wet on wet and resisted the temptation to smooth out the brush strokes. It was fun and the energy in the paint is almost tangible.


No comments: