Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Shortening Shadows

These are the same two boats directly south of Scubby`s Bluff across the Saugeen River, Southampton Ontario painted at 8 am. I moved the scene a trifle to the east to catch the mid morning shadows. For me the best plein air light is first thing in the morning. I wanted to demonstrate in a demo to the participants of the Southampton Art Group that some success can be had by painting fast with confidence and not letting the analytical left side of your brain butt in and explain to you that you are doing everything wrong. Robert Genn calls in the `37 Club`. Finish the painting in 37 minutes or 37 strokes. I chose the 37 minutes although I think it was more like 29 which is also a prime number. The brush and oils were still flying. I was n ot listening much to the left side of my brain. Medium Burnt umber oil tinted 8x10

No comments: