Saturday, August 31, 2013

Swimming Hole

I swam every day of the summer of 2013 in this Jim Day Rapids swimming hole. It may not look like much but it is 18 feet deep of the dock and the swimming is terrific. The sun fish nibble on your legs while in the current it is like one of those "endless pools swimming machines". Early in the season when the water was high the current was so strong that it easily overpowered me every time. The current is slack now and I can hold my own.
This little painting is dark because of the early morning shadows. I quite liked the play of light and reflections across the water and how you can look into the depths closer to your feet. It was a fun experiment.
The water is getting cooler now as the nights lengthen....

2 comments:

J & B said...

I can feel the morning, the atmosphere in this painting is wonderful
John

Aleta Karstad said...

Crisp, painterly, powerful - a strong painting, Phil!